Sunday 13 July 2014

The Curse of the Mummy (Tummy)

So, that "eating for two" business - I wish I'd listened to the people who told me it was rubbish! 

In my first trimester (actually until 17 weeks ish) I had nausea 24/7.  I was never actually sick - I just felt like I wanted to be constantly.  It was particularly bad if I ate anything sweet. So by 18 weeks, I'd put on less than 1/2 a stone even though I'd gone from being in the gym 3 or 4 times a week to never due to the sickness! 

However, once this lifted, I ate whatever I fancied, whenever I fancied it! So by the time I gave birth, 13 long days late, I was 5st heavier than at the start.  2 days after giving birth, I'd lost 1.5st.  Since then, I've lost another 1/2 st but that still has me weighing in almost 3st heavier than the day I found out I was pregnant. 

Now, I should explain - I used to be fat.  At the end of Uni, I was a similar weight to now.  In February 2010, after 6 years together, my husband proposed and I decided, after seeing our engagement party photos, that something had to change, in short, I wanted to be a sl bride! So I started running (the Couch to 5k programme) and watching the calories and by the time we got married in August 2011, I had lost over 3st.  

The next two years I carried on running 3 or more times a week, running a half marathon in September 2012 and generally enjoying being fit and slim for the first time in my life.  

It is, to say the least, disheartening to know I have the same road to tread again .  But, 2 things are keeping me going! 1) I've done it before, I can do it again (I have a very supportive husband who is more than happy to have Bumble as many evenings as I want so I can work out) and 2) my favourite little black dress - in a style which would currently make me look like a hovercraft - which I am determined to be able to fit in by New Year's Eve.

Today, I started Couch to 5k again - happily it wasn't quite as difficult as I remember from the first time around! By Christmas, the aim is to be a size 12 again and able to run a 5k.

Yes, my tummy will never be quite the same as before, but I know if I stick with the diet/exercise regime - I can be a yummy mummy yet! 

One of the photos that inspired the first weight loss!

Me, just before my half marathon September 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment