Tuesday 8 July 2014

Baby clothing breakdown

Baby clothes are driving me mad. Not because they are so small they easily get lost or because I am constantly washing them but because I have no idea what size to buy...EVER! 

As I've already mentioned, Bumble is a long baby - he's somewhere around the 91st (per)centile so, I expected him to be in "older" sizes early.  What I didn't expect is that baby clothing sizes are more variable than women's clothing sizes - a feat I would have deemed impossible a few months ago! This means that I am constantly holding clothes up to him to try and gauge whether I should be buying 0-3, 3-6 or even 6-9 month clothes.  

So, in the hope that this will be vaguely useful at some point these are my "findings" so far.

H&M baby clothes (not unlike their adult clothes) are very small! Bumble has almost outgrown 6-9 months at 12 weeks... One exception - their superb socks (no I'm not on commission!) which are roughly as advertised! 

M&S again follow their adult clothes and are on the large side.  Bumble is still comfortably in 0-3 and some of these are a little big!

Next are great for long, slim babies like Bumble and they are probably the most realistic age wise, we hit 3-6 months about 2 weeks ago!

Morrisons - similar to Next but a touch bigger!  Their newborn stuff was the only newborn clothing that fit Bumble.

Sainsburys - I love Tu baby clothes - really good selection for boys and the 0-1 month size was perfect for Bumble in his first weeks.  Now in 3-6 but with plenty of room.

Tesco - I've found these a bit small but not too bad and great for real basics.

Asda - these are very short (and wide)!  Again Bumble is almost out of 6-9 months lengthwise but these are very baggy width wise.

Mamas & Papas - like M&S these are generally on the big side - we're still in 0-3!

Jojo Maman Bebe - these are lovely clothes but just not designed for long, slim babies so just don't fit Bumble well.  I'm sure for babies whose weight and length line up better (Bumble is only 70th centile for weight) these would be fab.

One other one to mention for the longer, slimmer baby is the Dutch chain Hema who have just opened some London stores and have plans to spread out across the UK this year.  We were very kindly sent a load of things for Bumble by a Dutch friend and they are great for him (in fact the sleeves are even a bit long on him rather than the usual between wrist and elbow long sleeves!).  I'm looking forward to them opening anywhere "up North". 

Bumble in his Tu dino suit when he was less than 24hrs old! 

No comments:

Post a Comment